Re: [TowerTalk] Bazooka antenna

To: Gene Fuller <w2lu@rochester.rr.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Bazooka antenna
From: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <lists@subich.com>
Date: Tue, 08 Nov 2011 15:51:34 -0500
 > if can't get down a good radial system

    - snip -

> and quarterwave slopers for 160, which could also be part of the
> guying system.

Quarter wave slopers need a good ground system for optimum performance.
The support tower is connected to the ground - even just the lightning
protection ground - and significant current will flow in the ground.

Even the 160 meter inverted V at 60 feet has some benefits over a
vertical with a poor ground system (e.g. quarter eave sloper with
no radials).  Sure, you will make contacts with the 1/4 wave sloper
(I worked DXCC on 160 with one back in the early 1980s) but just like
a loaded 30' vertical with a six 30' on ground radials, it's like
running 20 or 30 watts compared to even an inverted V at 60'.

73,

    ... Joe, W4TV