Re: [TowerTalk] Hy-tower Vertical with 160M Vertical next to it

To: Gary Slagel <gdslagel@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Hy-tower Vertical with 160M Vertical next to it
From: WA8JXM <wa8jxm@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2011 15:33:51 -0500
Gary,

Look at the current distribution of a quarter wave vertical.   You will notice
that most of the current comes from the lower half of the antenna.

By using an inverted L, you still get that high current portion to radiate.
You get most of the efficiency of a quarter wave vertical.

When you cut off the quarter wave length and substitute the coil, you lose the
most effective portion of the radiator.

The other approach is to use top loading (e.g. a top hat of some sort) which
moves the current up the radiator.   The flat top of an inverted L is just a
rudimentary top hat.

Ken