[TowerTalk] Static source ?

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Static source ?
From: Chris Merchant KA1LMR <ka1lmr@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2011 18:15:27 -0800 (PST)
I am trying to  precisely locate a strong static source, were familiar with
High tension lines arcing at the insulators on very dry days. this however is
the opposite , it only occurs when its raining or has been raining and still
wet out it is  local . its only about 1000 Ft away but when I aim in the
general direction there is  a  good S9 static,  popping sometimes sounds like
oil burning in a frying pan or a motor boat  its constant for the most
part and  particularly most strong on  the 6,10,12,15M bands.  With a portable
radio I have narrowed it down  to 100 Ft radius in area near  the center of 2
streets, There is  transformers, caps and splices in some the power lines in
the area  but have yet to find the  exact location of. power line crews have
looked in the past without finding anything  but this has been going on for 10+
years any ideas on exactly what might be the culprit?  again once its no longer
raining or wet out it
 completely goes away making it more difficult to find.