Re: [TowerTalk] Static source ?

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Static source ?
From: K8RI <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2011 01:47:37 -0500
On 11/23/2011 11:32 PM, Ron W8RJL wrote:
> Ask the power company to use an infrared camera some cool wet night to see
> if they can find it. Arcing will produce heat and it will show up as a hot
> spot. If power company will not do it see if someone in your area does home
> heat loss studies using an IR Camera. See what they would charge you for an
> hour of their time. If all else fails send a letter to FCC with a copy to
> the power company explaining the problem, the length of time it has been
> going on, if you do emergency work (check into ARES nets etc) explain that
> it hampers your emergency communications. Don't do it by phone and not by
> email, regular old snail mail and make it polite but serious. Then set back
> because the wheels at FCC and the Power company do not turn fast but you
> should get results.

Many movie cameras now days have an IR setting and they are very sensitive.
If you don't have one, borrow one and just watch the viewfinder. They
have tremendous zoom ranges that let you look at things like that in
detail from quite a distance.  Mine is digital tape and I loaned it to
my daughter/grand daughter long ago as we used it very little.

73

Roger (K8RI)