Re: [TowerTalk] SSV How-To

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] SSV How-To
From: Rick Kunze <rkunze@colusanet.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2011 14:08:36 -0800
At 01:13 PM 11/27/2011, you wrote:
>I see you made a pad-style foundation.  Can you tell me if you
>investigated doing a belled-pier type before  you settled on a pad?

Not belled pier per se, my other option was straight piers, 3' in
diameter and 33' deep.  (This tower is good for 100 sq. ft. of
surface area (antennas) in 75MPH wind, no radial ice.)  The main
issue was that the drilled pier route had much higher hard costs than
the slab option which I could do largely myself, at whatever pace I
wanted.  It was much cheaper to do the slab because I figured I could
dig the dirt, and I could do the rebar, etc.  Maybe it would not have
been had I contracted the whole thing to an outside firm, but I had
to do it on the cheap and that made the slab the way to go.  Needless
to say, this is not a hobby tower for ham radio, it was an
investment.  I get to hang stuff on it though.  In round numbers, the
turn key quote from a contractor on that project was in the mid $50k
range in 2002 dollars.  I did it "with help from some friends" for
about $23k not including the financing costs.  The drilled pier route
had higher out of pocket cost because I had no access to such a drill
rig.  I would have had to bring it in at the going rate.

Rk