Re: [TowerTalk] Question about lowering a Fold-Over tower

To: "Richard \(Rick\) Karlquist" <richard@karlquist.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Question about lowering a Fold-Over tower
From: "Wilson Lamb" <infomet@embarqmail.com>
Date: Thu, 2 Feb 2012 18:57:01 -0500
I shouldn't really call it a falling derrick, I suppose.
What I use is just a prop to keep the cable high enough to give lift when
the tower is low.  Our FD tower actually starts below horizontal, since the
base is on the tail of the trailer and the top is on the ground, or maybe on
a block.  Then we raise it enough to install the A3 beam.  When the tower is
up about 30 degrees, the cable from the front of the trailer to the top of
the tower is getting pretty high and the prop falls away.  That's fine,
since the system is very stable at that point.
WL