Re: [TowerTalk] An easy question for the experts on this list

Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] An easy question for the experts on this list
From: "Mike Ryan" <mryan001@tampabay.rr.com>
Date: Sat, 4 Feb 2012 19:10:18 -0500
You could ask around, pick up a couple of old yagis from one band or
another, fill up the gas tank, go to Home Depot and get some new stainless
clamps, bolts, washer, nuts, design and build a new antenna, search for a
rotator, ( does it work?) buy rotor cable, maybe take another day off of
work, put it on the tower ( oh yeah....we have to GET a tower), dig the
hole, concrete, rebar, (permit?), take another day off, call some buddies
over to help get the TOWER and ANTENNA up, run the cables, test the antenna
and rotor while on the tower, OR
Put up a 6 meter ringo modified for the lower end of the band with $2 worth
of aluminum in order to make a handful of contacts. But....there is that
tower....  My limited experience with 6 meters has indicated that when the
band opens you near to nothing to make contacts. I once worked a guy on
Virginia Beach with a 5 watt battery powered radio from here in Florida.
That is not something that happens everyday.  But you have to decide as with
any pursuit how far you want to go.  - Good luck.  - Mike