Re: [TowerTalk] DXE Cable prep tool

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] DXE Cable prep tool
From: K8RI <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Sat, 26 May 2012 18:34:51 -0400
On 5/26/2012 5:04 PM, Frank wrote:
> Out of curiosity, I am wondering why you need a cable prep tool.  Are
> you going into business preping cables?
I can't speak for Phil, but I run SO2R, or was for a while.  With one
station in the house and one in the shop, both covering 160 through 440
I have just shy of 100 connectors in the system. When the 25G on the
West end of the shop is finished I'll need to add roughly another 14.

The "good" prep tools really speed things up. OTOH they work far better
on some cables than others. LMR UF cables are a royal PITA. While Davis
BuryFlex(TM) works great with the regular LMR cables just behind it.
Normally those tools will cut the time to a fraction of what it would
normally take to do a few cables.

> I use a pocket knife and dikes.  The six or so cables a year I have to
> prep don't justify gearing up for production quantities.

OTOH if I only have a jumper to do I can usually do it quicker with a
box cutter and wire cutter  than the time it takes me to find the proper
tools.<:-))

73

Roger (K8RI)