Re: [TowerTalk] Or2800DC smoking control box

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Or2800DC smoking control box
From: "davidrobbins" <davidrobbins@ieee.org>
Date: Fri, 01 Jun 2012 10:57:02 +0000
The first thing to do is to see exactly which component lost it's magic
smoke.  That may give you some idea where to start looking.  As far as
measuring the wiring to the tower don't just check for the expected
resistances, check for unexpected ones also.  If the motor is supposed to be
floating(not grounded) then check it's resistance to ground.  Also check for
unwanted connections between motor and indicator circuits, I once had a
splice up the tower that had a strand of wire poke through the electrical
tape and short the indicator to the motor power, first time it turned the
indicator circuit died.