[TowerTalk] TowerTalk If you had a choice

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] TowerTalk If you had a choice
From: "Jim Thomson" <jim.thom@telus.net>
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2012 00:46:50 -0700
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2012 09:57:06 -0700
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] TowerTalk If you had a choice

On 10/16/2012 11:53 AM, Bill Winkis wrote:
> What did the wise old "Elmer" say ...Son, put 1/3 of your money into a
> tower, a third into the antennas, and a thirds into the radio and
> peripheral's

I'd allocate at least $300 for a decent library of technical books on
radio and electronics, at least $200 of which is about antennas and
transmission lines, and then spend lots of TIME studying them. Part of
that "library" ought to include antenna modeling software like EZNEC.
Most hams have limited cash, but throw lots of dollars at the wrong
things because they don't understand the science. As the old saying
goes, "if you think education is expensive, consider the cost of
ignorance." :)

73, Jim K9YC

##  I have shelves full of ARRL ant books, ( from 70’s to present),
and ARRL handbooks, (1957 to present)  and all the ON4UN books.
(all 4 off em.).   All the orr books, and also ‘SSB systems + circuits.’

##  here it is, 2012, and they still can’t build a balun correctly,
nor an amplifier, nor an antenna.  Sad really.  Do you know of ANY
books that have actual factual info in them?

Jim  VE7RF