[TowerTalk] galvaniizing heat treated steel

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] galvaniizing heat treated steel
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 28 Dec 2012 07:15:08 -0800
On 12/27/12 1:49 PM, SPWoo wrote:
Hi Jorge,

It's easier to stick to a 2" OD.  I went with 2" OD but with a 3/8" wall 4130 chromoly.
The cost difference between 1/4" and 3/8" is not significant.  I want to make sure the mast
outlasts me!  Attached below are the details of my mast and the cost.  I had to pay another vender to
galvanize it for me for an additional $150.  So a total cost of $650.  Not cheap but when you look a the
big picture it's cheap insurance.  Using the windload calculator this mast is good for 135mph for my two
yagis.  We do get 120mph winds here once in a decade.  GL and 73.

2.000 OD X .375 W S/C 15'0" ( 180.0")
Heat: 001M59442            Item: 100549

                   MECHANICAL PROPERTIES
                 YLD STR     ULT TEN    %ELONG   %RED   HARDNESS
DESCRIPTION       PSI        PSI      IN 2 IN  IN AREA     BHN
                   104628.0   122695.0  18.7                 101
EDDY CURRENT: OK

With that yield (and hardness number!), it's definitely been heat treated..

Whether the hot-dip galvanizing changes the yield is hard to say. I've been looking through my (very old) textbooks and steel company application notes and most seem to say that the temperature of the molten zinc is far enough below the temperature of the original heat treat that it's not a big issue.

I did find one reference that says that hot dip galvanizing reduces the fatigue resistance (i.e. the steel fails earlier from fatigue cracking).

In the ham antenna situation, I have no idea if fatigue is an issue. Wind loads are repetitive, but generally quite small, so they may not get up to where fatigue is an issue.

One would need to consult someone who actually knows this stuff to know for sure.

Yes, a lot of folks invest in strong steel for their masts, and it works just fine, but from an engineering standpoint, one wonders if it's worth the extra expense. Putting up cold rolled 1020 at half the ultimate yield might have survived just as well. Or, alternately, spending a few hundred bucks to not worry about it might be worth it.

It's not like people instrument their masts to measure the actual loads.