Re: [TowerTalk] Thrust Bearing...

To: Dave Cole <dave@nk7z.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Thrust Bearing...
From: Grant Saviers <grants2@pacbell.net>
Date: Sun, 06 Jan 2013 20:02:52 -0800

My 2 cents, having two HDX589s and a TMM433.

I don't think you need a thrust bearing, if your tower has the welded in sleeve for a 2" mast. I think this is standard on all the current UST crank-ups.

The sleeve will handle side loads well beyond the TX438 rated wind load and your rotator will handle the weight load.

I had a TB3 on 85' of Rohn 25 a while ago, and it failed. If you don't have a sleeve and need a bearing to handle side (radial) loads then I think boring a mast sized hole in a top plate of 2" thick MDS Nylon (Nylatron GS) or UHMW is a better approach. A polymer sleeve bearing will last a long time at the antenna rotational speeds and loads and requires no maintenance. Both materials are UV sensitive, but not much of a worry in 2" thickness, or just paint them. I've found remnants on ebay at good prices.

Grant  KZ1W