Re: [TowerTalk] HamIV Rotor sluggish

To: <dougn4ij@gmail.com>, <TowerTalk@contesting.com>, "Missouri Guy" <n0tt1@juno.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] HamIV Rotor sluggish
From: "Gene Fuller" <w2lu@rochester.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2013 00:15:04 -0500
To: <dougn4ij@gmail.com>; <TowerTalk@contesting.com>
Sent: Saturday, January 12, 2013 11:52 PM

The capacitor can be mounted on or close to the
tower.  That will save some voltage drop.  Also check
the capacitor, especially if it's very old.  Look at the
schematic for connections.

On the brake problem, I wound some more turns on the
control box transformer to boost the voltage to about 30v,
IIRC.  Worked well for my 250ft run.

I've often thought about making a "repeater" from some
relays that would be located in a box at the base of the
tower.  The relays would handle the heavy currents.
The direction indicator circuit would run directly to the shack.
The rotator would be powered right at the tower with the
usual 24vac supply.  The relays would be controlled by the rotator
control box in the shack via the existing rotator cable.  110vac
for the supply is available at the tower.  Just my thoughts
on how to handle those long rotator lines.

Charlie, N0TT

On Sat, 12 Jan 2013 18:20:59 -0600 Doug Snowden <dougn4ij@gmail.com>