Re: [TowerTalk] HamIV Rotor HUM

To: Towertalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] HamIV Rotor HUM
From: Tony Brock-Fisher <barockteer@aol.com>
Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2013 12:13:19 -0500
I had the same problem with several Hy-Gain rotors here.

The problem is a ground loop formed by the high current AC return line from the rotator, which can return either via the rotor cable, or via the tower ground, to your house 3rd wire ground, through the ground pin of the AC plug on the controller box. Some of this current finds its way into the radio audio circuits.

My simple fix was to install a 'cheater' plug adapter on the control box line cord, with the ground tab NOT connected to anything. This breaks the ground loop and forces all the current to return through the cable.

Try it - you'll be amazed!

-Tony, K1KP

p.s. please, no comments about the safety of this approach!