[TowerTalk] GA-3000 found, tnx

To: <john@kk9a.com>, towertalk towertalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] GA-3000 found, tnx
From: Charles Harpole <k4vud@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2013 01:50:41 +0000
This item is often hidden under "Accesories, general" title or is with the
rotors accessories. I am awaiting my order final confirmation.  So, likely I
will have one soon. For those who are wondering,  this item GA-3000, made by
Yaesu, mounts under the rotor and above the rotor plate to provide a little bit
of "wiggle room" for the rotor as it lines up with thrust bearing(s) above it.
This alignment is a constant problem with large arrays, especially with lots of
straight line wind pressure on the mast.  I have had problems with alignment
with two of my towers in the past, one with one thrust bearing and the other
tower with two bearings. I "solved" the one-bearing problem by elevating the
T2X half inch on its bolts, but with the bolts locked with nuts above the
plate, which allowed the rotor to float a little.  Even with two bearings (and
a HyGain Xmas tree on top) on the second tower, I got too much mis-alignment
with, on this tower, the T2X binding and stopping.  Giving u
 p on the T2X, I installed a new Yaesu G 2800 which, for one reason or another,
turned just fine. In August, a very freak straight line wind hit for about 10
minutes (enough to have my Thai wife praying at the window) bent my straining
80ft Trylon over, bringing down my Xmas Tree and Yaesu rotor.  More than half
of each yagi was ruined, but using the remainder and parts from TH 7s, I was
able to rebuild the 20 and the 15, and make a all new 10/6 meter interlaced
yagi for the top of the undamaged 23+ feet chrom/moly mast.   This week,
finally a new 80ft Thai-made tower is up and the rebuilt yagis fly in the air
again.  HOWEVER, after sitting for months, the Yaesu rotor will not turn.  A
spare T2X (used but working when put into good storage) will release the brake
but will not turn, so no rotor yet.   I remember some ham asking, yrs ago, why
we can buy a $500 clothes washer, with a reversable motor, which lasts 10
years, and yet our bigger bux ham rotors fail frequently.  In 5
 1 yrs of hamming, rotors have had the greater failure rate way above all my
other equipment.  Huummmmm. 73, and tnx for help finding item.  HS0ZCW

Charles Harpole
 k4vud@hotmail.com