Re: [TowerTalk] Cadweld failing to ignite

To: towertalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Cadweld failing to ignite
From: Steve Maki <lists@oakcom.org>
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2013 22:06:00 -0500
On 1/21/2013 4:53 PM, K8RI wrote:

I'm having a problem where one of the cadweld one-shot doesn't have
any of the igniting powder in it.  From what I've gathered the main
powder material needs a very high temperature to ignite.  So far I've
tried a torch (MAPP gas) but still the main powder fails to ignite
despite the powder was glowing red.  Someone has suggested using a
magnesium fire starter.  I didn't have any problems lighting the other
cadwelds with a flint but what does one do if there's no igniting
powder?  Your help is greatly appreciated.  73.

Just a propane torch should ignite them.  I've ignited them with match
heads from the old kitchen matches, which isn't very safe and I do not
recommend.

If it was glowing, it should have ignited.

We're missing something.

What you're missing is that this particular shot has no igniting powder. Takes much more than a match with this ingredient missing...

-Steve K8LX