Re: [TowerTalk] bonding to AC power box or inside fuse panel?

To: "'Vincent Weal'" <k4jc@arrl.net>, <wc1m73@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] bonding to AC power box or inside fuse panel?
From: "Dick Green WC1M" <wc1m73@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2013 01:22:06 -0500
Vince,

I’m not exactly sure where I first got this information. I checked my copy of
“The ‘Grounds’ for Lightning and EMP Protection” by Ron Block (originally
published by PolyPhaser and now out of print), but all I could find was a
statement that the law of diminishing returns applies to radials over 75’ –
i.e., most of the lightning energy is dissipated in 75’ or so. I have a feeling
that the issue might have come up in a conversation or email exchange I had
with Ron Block or his brother back in the late ‘90s. I think that may be where
I heard that over 75-feet the two ends don’t “see each other”. I’ll have to do
some serious digging in my email to check if that was the source.

But never fear, I managed to find another reference from Ron Block that backs
up what I said, albeit in slightly different fashion. Check out these links:

http://www.dxengineering.com/pdf/Lightning%20Protection%20P1.pdf

http://www.dxengineering.com/pdf/Lightning%20Protection%20P2.pdf

http://www.dxengineering.com/pdf/Lightning%20Protection%20P3.pdf

In Part III, page 54, second column, first full paragraph, there’s a discussion
of connecting the single-point ground and tower, where Ron states that when the
two are separated by over 100’ it may not be cost effective to bond the ground
systems together.

Although Ron’s book is no longer in print, here’s a link to an article by Ken
Rand that includes most of the important content:

http://members.rennlist.org/warren/LightningProtectionAndGrounding.pdf

73, Dick WC1M