Re: [TowerTalk] bonding to AC power box or inside fuse panel?

To: wc1m73@gmail.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] bonding to AC power box or inside fuse panel?
From: Vincent Weal <k4jc@arrl.net>
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2013 17:37:34 -0500
Dick, I want to thank you for this post. I have been trying to find an
answer to this question for years, but no one seemed to have a definitive
answer. Can you tell me where I can find the article you referred to?

My tower is going to be 175 feet from the shack and I wasn't looking
forward to dropping all that dough on grounding wire!

73, Vince K4JC

the house. My first tower farm is 265' from the house. Being new to tower
construction, I laid 265 feet of 1/0 ground wire in the trench running
between the two locations in order to bond the ground systems. This was not
cheap, to say the least (though it was before the big run up in copper
prices.) Later, I read an article by Polyphaser that said if the ground
systems are more than 75' apart it does no good to bond them -- the wire
inductance will be too high to make an effective connection. With this in
mind, when I installed my second tower system in a different location 220'
from the house, I did not run a separate ground wire. The Polyphaser
argument made sense to me. Also, there are two runs of 1-5/8" hardline in
the trench, and the gigantic copper shields on those babies surely provide
a lower inductance path between the tower and house than a 1/0 wire would
-- if, in fact, any wire has low enough inductance at that length to be
effective.

73, Dick WC1M"