Re: [TowerTalk] bonding to AC power box or inside fuse panel?

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] bonding to AC power box or inside fuse panel?
From: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <lists@subich.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2013 18:27:31 -0500

On 1/21/2013 6:13 PM, vk3pa@vk3pa.com wrote:
> I run rf earth separated from the Power ac supply service no
> connection between the two.. de vk3pa

Not good practice in the US.  Power supply ground (as opposed to
neutral) and RF earth ground should be the same.  Otherwise any
lightning induced surge on one or the other will result in a voltage
difference between the the two which *will* equalize by moving current *through* the chassis of any equipment connected to both the power
supply "safety" ground and the RF ground.

This is a recipe for significant lighting or power supply induced
damage.  *Always* bond the RF ground and the power "entrance" ground
together via a path that *does not* place any equipment between the
two "grounds".

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV