Re: [TowerTalk] Tower trailers?

To: Mike Lyon <mike.lyon@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Tower trailers?
From: Grant Saviers <grants2@pacbell.net>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2013 21:07:52 -0800
Here are some alternatives, depending on the antenna loads, height, vehicle.

- used boom truck (maybe <$10k if you shop around) check ebay, craigslist and bidadoo auctions - commercial tower trailer ($10k and up, saw a 100 footer (guyed) at auction that had collapsed - ugly) google tower trailers - push up mast on a truck hitch or guyed in the bed (a friend does this for VHF contest roving, 20' Al flag pole from Harbor Freight, $50 plus some fabrication) - winch up mast on truck hitch (I built a 37', 2 sections x 20' that tilts over forward on my 3/4 ton GMC, about $600 in materials plus fabrication) - DIY tower on a trailer (designed for Field Day but not built for HDD433 on a 20' flatbed trailer - have both, and it needs outriggers for stability) - rental fold up towable boom lift (about $300/day), but I doubt it would trailer well off road, 500# lift capacity and needs very flat ground for outriggers or the computer keeps you grounded. check local rental yards. - used TV/video van with 35' compressed air Wil-Burt mast (worked on one donated to a non profit club, KABC obsoleted it when they moved to HD)

Grant KZ1W