Re: [TowerTalk] utility box and feed-throughs

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] utility box and feed-throughs
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2013 14:00:41 -0700
On 4/19/13 1:48 PM, Hans Hammarquist wrote:
I am planning to put a box near the top of my tower and use it for various
signal wire connections such as rotator cables, antenna switches etc. My idea
was to pull a multi-conductor cable between my shack and this box, have several
screw terminals in the box to attach whatever I need signal and power for.
(Yes, I have a 115 V output in the tower already. It has survived several
winters so far. No, I don't have power on it unless I need to.)

In order to make the box reasonable water tight I plane to use regular, sealed
feedtrough for the cable. My dilemma is: What feed-through do I use for the
cables between the rotators and the switches etc and the box? I can add a
sealed feed-through each time I need a new connection but that requires me to
make a hole in the box and put a sealed feed-through each time. Not a big deal
if yuo are on the ground or in your work shop but hanging by one arm, 80 feed
up does not appeal to me.

Predrill/pumch many holes, and use rubber plugs in the ones you're not using now. Ordinary stoppers would work, or those thin ones you see plugging holes in automobile firewalls, etc.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#snap-in-plugs/=me617v