Re: [TowerTalk] utility box and feed-throughs

To: "towertalk@contesting.com" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] utility box and feed-throughs
From: Ro Grrr <rogrrr@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2013 21:19:23 -0400

john@kk9a.com wrote:

I have a number of Hoffman Enclosures outside and I make no attempt to seal
cables going in. My cables come in though large holes in the bottom of the  box
and everything inside stays dry.  The only issue with doing this is that
insects can get inside. I would not recommend installing antenna switches at
the top of the tower.

And KC8HZ replies:
When you put your cables thru the holes (should use grommets, too), even tho
they don't fill the hole wholly (completely, fully ?), fill the gap with some
copper kitchen pot scrubbing wool around the cable. It allows the box to
breathe and keeps insects out, too.

If you use hermetic military style antenna switches (harder to find these days.
Keep your eyes open at hamfests), you can put them in your enclosure at the top.

73
KC8HZ (kilocycles 8 Hertz)
Roger (pronounced ROH GRRR)
rogrrr@hotmail