[TowerTalk] Grounding HDX-555

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Grounding HDX-555
From: Brad Hyde <w5bk@live.com>
Date: Sun, 5 May 2013 11:19:22 -0500
Hello all,
I am in the process of erecting an HDX-555.  I have the hole dug and most of
the rebar cage built.  My question is about the best method of grounding.
Should I place a copper cable at the bottom of the hole and then attach it to
the tower?  This method would have the cable immersed in the concrete which
makes me wonder about that much heat going into the concrete if lightning hits,
even if it is just on the edge of the concrete.  The other method I am thinking
of would be three ground rods placed around the tower and connected together
and to the tower with copper strap and/or very heavy copper wire.  Just looking
for input from the collective knowledge of this group as I am in a lightning
prone area in west Texas.  Thanks.
Brad
W5BK