Re: [TowerTalk] Grounding HDX-555

To: <TOWERTALK@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Grounding HDX-555
From: "Patrick Greenlee" <patrick_g@windstream.net>
Date: Sun, 5 May 2013 13:59:55 -0500
While on the grounding topic... why do some sources recommend burying the wire clamp to copper ground rod connection a minimum of 6 inches?

Patrick AF5CK

-----Original Message----- From: Alan NV8A
Sent: Sunday, May 05, 2013 1:39 PM
To: TOWERTALK@contesting.com
Cc: Brad Hyde

On 05/05/13 12:19 pm, Brad Hyde wrote:

I am in the process of erecting an HDX-555. I have the hole dug and most of the rebar cage built. My question is about the best method of grounding. Should I place a copper cable at the bottom of the hole and then attach it to the tower? This method would have the cable immersed in the concrete which makes me wonder about that much heat going into the concrete if lightning hits, even if it is just on the edge of the concrete. The other method I am thinking of would be three ground rods placed around the tower and connected together and to the tower with copper strap and/or very heavy copper wire. Just looking for input from the collective knowledge of this group as I am in a lightning prone area in west Texas. Thanks.

I have #4 copper connected to each leg of my HDX-555 (with
stainless-steel shims as separators to avoid corrosion), and each
running to an 8ft. copper-clad ground rod about 10ft. away.

73

Alan NV8A