Re: [TowerTalk] Grounding HDX-555

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Grounding HDX-555
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 05 May 2013 09:45:16 -0700
On 5/5/13 9:19 AM, Brad Hyde wrote:
Hello all, I am in the process of erecting an HDX-555.  I have the
hole dug and most of the rebar cage built.  My question is about the
best method of grounding.  Should I place a copper cable at the
bottom of the hole and then attach it to the tower?

Nope.. the concrete makes a much better conductor to the surrounding soil than a copper wire by itself.

 This method
would have the cable immersed in the concrete which makes me wonder
about that much heat going into the concrete if lightning hits, even
if it is just on the edge of the concrete.

OOoh.. don't have anything penetrating the concrete/soil boundary below grade (like that copper wire). That makes for a small crack where the wire (or rebar) meets concrete into which water can creep.

 The other method I am
thinking of would be three ground rods placed around the tower and
connected together and to the tower with copper strap and/or very
heavy copper wire.

Bond your copper grounding wire (which comes into the concrete through the top)to the rebar cage. or run 20 feet of the copper wire around through the concrete, as long as it's totally encased.

Something like AWG6 would be good.

 Just looking for input from the collective
knowledge of this group as I am in a lightning prone area in west
Texas.  Thanks. Brad W5BK