Re: [TowerTalk] A quest about Gin Poles

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] A quest about Gin Poles
From: K8RI <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Thu, 30 May 2013 17:13:04 -0400
On 5/30/2013 4:50 PM, Kevin Elliott wrote:
I have purchased all of the item to build my gin pole but I have one question I am hoping
someone can answer.  I have two seven foot pieces of 2" x .250"
aluminum that I am going to use for the gin pole itself. I also have a 6' length of 1.750" aluminum that I am going to use for the connector for the two 7' pieces. Now my question is this; how long should the 1.750" piece of aluminum be for the slice of the 2" pieces? I think having 3' in each of the 2" pieces is overkill and will add weight to the device. I was thinking more along the line of 4' section which allows 2' in each of the sections. Or should I go with 3' on each piece?

Having worked with these things for years, I wouldn't use a 2 piece gin pole except for very light work. 2nd I would consider the smaller inside splice to be too short. The first question is what alloy and temper is the tubing and splice?

I use 12' and 24' sections of 6061T6 with 1/8th, 3/16 and 1/4 inch wall depending on the load.

I would ask an engineer about the configuration you are planning.

Climbing and using gin poles in tower work is quite dangerous!
Every year we lose a number of well trained and experienced climbers. When something breaks up there your only thought is to get out of the way with out getting off the tower.

Working on a 40 or 50 foot tower can be just as dangerous as working on the big ones. You are just working with smaller stuff which can be just as deadly as can a fall from that height.

Be careful

73

Roger (K8RI)

Thanks