Re: [TowerTalk] Lightning and wired networks was: Re: Lightning protecti

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Lightning and wired networks was: Re: Lightning protection
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2013 08:35:08 -0700
On 7/10/13 7:57 AM, Pete Smith N4ZR wrote:
Alas, when you are a history major working with pre-made serial cables
and USB-to-serial converters with pre-molded cable terminations
shielding and shield terminations are apt to be iffy at best.

Not a reflection on Pete, but he brings up an interesting point..

Here on TT (and on other forums) there's thousands of posts about installing coax connectors: how to do it, best way, brands of connectors, tooling, etc.

Yet folks seem to have an aversion to installing other kinds of connectors: optical fibers, D-sub, etc.

For myself, I don't install connectors any more. I buy cables with connectors installed by others. Some are good, some are bad, but that's the breaks.

Just an observation...