Re: [TowerTalk] Lightning and wired networks was: Re: Lightning protecti

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Lightning and wired networks was: Re: Lightning protection
From: Pete Smith N4ZR <n4zr@contesting.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Jul 2013 08:19:16 -0400
Oh, I know, Jim - but as I get older, I get more and more impatient with time wasting. What I really should do is go through all of the cables I'm using with an ohmmeter and discard any that are dubious. On a pre-made USB to Serial adapter, for example, I presume I could make a small slit in the serial cable and ascertain whether a) there is a shield and b) it is connected to the shell of the DB-9. Same presumably could be done on USB cables, at least for presence of a shield and continuity with the ground lead.

73, Pete N4ZR
Check out the Reverse Beacon Network at
http://reversebeacon.net,
blog at reversebeacon.blogspot.com.