Re: [TowerTalk] Mast steps

To: K1TTT <k1ttt@arrl.net>, "towertalk@contesting.com" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Mast steps
From: Wayne Kline <w3ea@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2013 11:59:40 -0400
Frist.... I have  built mast steps and used them.  I would not climb a mast
that has the rotor at the first cross rung rohn 25,45 ,55

the mast and rotor must be inserted at least 7 or 8 ft B-4 I would attempt
that. even then there is a Pucker factor involved.

I have in the past stepped on the boom of a tri bander etc. while installing a
vhf/uhf antenna on the mast. but that mast was only 4

or 5 ft out of the tower. and we are talking about real mast material  NOT
water pipe :/

On the Rohn 65 issue , yup the steps are a challenge. it's not the right left
regular climb, but for me a one step  adjust he lanyard

one step again routine . with he face being 24" you lanyard  is a pita  as you
go up or down .

 Wayne W3EA