Re: [TowerTalk] Fwd: Shielded shack

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Fwd: Shielded shack
From: "Roger (K8RI) on TT" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Sat, 28 Sep 2013 14:56:44 -0400
On 9/28/2013 1:27 PM, Hans Hammarquist wrote:
The idea is not to let any current through the aluminum foil. ALL connections
to the foil is in ONE point, the point there everything is entering the shack.
I do not believe tht the foil would protect the shack from a direct lightning
strike. What is the possibility that will happened anyhow with a 85 foot tower
next to it. OK, never say never!

This is where the Single Point Ground (SPG) is important and that every lead coming into the shack is protected. Power, if multiple circuits needs to follow the sane routes for their entire lengths. Use a relatively large, grounded, "bulkhead" through which all leads must pass. Grounding and bypassing all leads is to insure the induced voltage from nearby strikes causes the voltage on all lines to rise at the same rate and to the same potential. Your common grounding sounds good.

My idea is to protect the gears inside the shack when lightning strikes the
tower. I don't believe the current going through the foil will be that high. It
is determined by the capacitance between the shack and the ground, and the rise
time of the voltage, right.

Lightening has punched holes (sometimes large) through Airplanes as they happened to be "in the way. I don't think foil on a grounded structure would offer much protection.

A good grounding system and a SPG at the shack entrance are the important points.

Presently, I have an aluminum plate under my radio equipment to which everything is
grounded. The plate acts like a "half" Faraday shield, and I believe that
arrangement saved me a couple of times. (I have had three (3) know direct strikes in my
house and have learned the hard way how to protect electronics; telephones, stereos,
etc.) I have not lost any ham equipment yet.

Grounding of the foil will be via a conductor connected to the tower. Hope that
is not against any code.

Any connection to the foil would need to cover a relatively large area such as an Aluminum plate of several square feet with the connector on it.

The first 6 years after installing the tower and ground system, it took an average of 3 visually verified hits per year for a total of 17 as reported by neighbors. The tower is a 100' ROHN 45G with a 30' DOM steel mast holding a TH5, 7L 6-meter C3i with a close to 30' boom and a 14' cross boom on top at 130 feet holding a pair of 11L 440s inboard of a pair of 12L 144s. That was way too much above the top of the tower. After seeing them whipping as much as 30-40 degrees in a strong wind, I'm amazed the top antennas held together.

http://www.rogerhalstead.com/ham_files/Tower29.htm  and
http://www.rogerhalstead.com/ham_files/Tower26.htm

Right now all the antennas are down for maint and satellite dishes are gone.

Plus I'm installing an LM470 crank up in the place of the small tower at the end of the shop. These are all tied together with over 600 feet of bare #2 with 32 or 32 ground rods CadWelded to it.

73,

Roger (K8RI)

73 de,

Hans - N2JFS