Re: [TowerTalk] Reactance at end of feedline

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Reactance at end of feedline
From: "Earl Morse" <kz8e@wt.net>
Date: Mon, 7 Oct 2013 06:01:05 -0700
Looks like everyone covered that you need to know the sign
(capacitive/inductive) as well as the magnitude of the impedance.

Here's a brief tutorial that shows what happens to an impedance as it is
transformed via a length of transmission line.

http://www.antenna-theory.com/tutorial/smith/smithchart4.php

The Smith chart is really handy here in that you plot your load or source
impedance and then rotate around the chart the number of degrees represented by
the length of the feed line.  If you know the length of the feedline (in
wavelengths and don't forget the velocity factor) and you have an impedance
reading (R+/-jX) either at the antenna or at the transmitter you can transform
around the Smith chart and determine what the impedance of one end looks like
from the other end.

For every half wavelength you go around the Smith chart you end up back at your
original impedance.

You can imagine all the uses here in antenna matching.

Earl
N8SS

Message: 7