Re: [TowerTalk] heavily rusted anchor bolt/nut

To: "TowerTalk@contesting.com" <TowerTalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] heavily rusted anchor bolt/nut
From: Al Kozakiewicz <akozak@hourglass.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Oct 2013 11:25:37 -0400
Enough heat will surely separate rusted together fasteners.  My worry would be
that heating to the cherry-red stage (what I've observed is usually necessary
in an automotive context) negates any hardening acheived in the initial heat
treatment of the anchor bolt.  I'm assuming that anchor bolts are hardened and
that you do not want to compromise their strength by undoing that.

Sticking to the mechanical methods of removing the bolt would seem to be the
safe course.  Use an angle grinder with a cutoff wheel to cut a deep groove in
the side of the nut.  Stick a cold chisel in the groove and bang the hell out
of it.  The nut will eventually crack at the cut and the chisel will expand it
enough to break the corrosion bond.

Al
AB2ZY