Re: [TowerTalk] concrete

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] concrete
From: David Gilbert <xdavid@cis-broadband.com>
Date: Sat, 02 Nov 2013 00:27:46 -0700

That (heat) is not why you should keep the concrete moist. Concrete is a hydraulic cure, meaning it requires water to cure. If concrete is allowed to prematurely dry out it doesn't become strong until it gets wet again, and may not ever reach the strength it would have if it had remained wet. A bit of surface water will do almost nothing to affect the internal heat generated by curing, but it will greatly facilitate the cure itself.

By the way, too much water in the mix is not a good thing either, because after the cure is complete the excess water will eventually depart leaving small interstitial spaces ... and air is very poor in compression. ;) The strongest concrete is that which just barely has enough water throughout the curing cycle to complete the chemical reaction. That is rarely seen in practice, though, because such a mix would be very stiff and hard to work ... certainly difficult to pour.

73,
Dave   AB7E