Re: [TowerTalk] concrete

To: "Roger \(K8RI\) on TT" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] concrete
From: "Patrick Greenlee" <patrick_g@windstream.net>
Date: Sat, 2 Nov 2013 07:03:40 -0500
Concrete cures, not dries. As stated in prev posts minimal water in a stiff mix is harder to work but cures to a stronger final strength. Left to their own discretion often times concrete contractors and their workers will call for more water to make a soupy mix. This makes their job much much easier but your concrete much weaker in its final form.

There is an excellent alternative, "Water Reducer Plasticizer additives" which make the concrete flow like it has extra water added but it does not destroy the final cured strength of the concrete. It is a win-win situation. The concrete flows easily without loosing final cure strength. These additives are not expensive. They have a limited pot life and should be added just enough ahead of the pour to be thoroughly mixed in the delivery truck. Added on site not at the plant when loading the concrete delivery truck.

1/3 of the ground floor of my house is ICF (Insulating Concrete Forms) construction, our master suite is a safe room. The contractor was used to working with a stiff mix to retain strength and did things like cut holes in the window sills to allow adding concrete to get a complete fill whereas the stiff concrete would not flow into those areas. I requested a water reducer plasticizer additive and told the contractor. He had no experience with it. When the concrete was poured some of it shot up about 18 inches into the air through the holes they cut in the window sills. "Thar she blows!"

Moral of the story? A good stiff low water mix with a water reducer plasticizer additive will flow very easily. It can be a very handy approach but you need to be prepared. Filling a simple hole in the ground with lots of rebar in it is not trivial with a proper low slump stiff mix. It should be "rodded" or vibrated to ensure air is not trapped and that you get good coverage-contact between concrete and rebar. A water reducer plasticizer can sure make that easier.

Patrick AF5CK

-----Original Message----- From: Roger (K8RI) on TT