Re: [TowerTalk] Tower guy anchors

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Tower guy anchors
From: "Roger (K8RI) on TT" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Fri, 08 Nov 2013 11:09:45 -0500
On 11/8/2013 10:05 AM, Vincent Weal wrote:
I am planning to install a 70-80' Rohn 45 tower and guying it with
Phillystran. The area where the tower is going has very sandy soil - the
kind that just falls back in on itself when you try to dig a hole. Also I
have a very high water table, maybe 18-24 inches below the surface (yes it
stays swampy all summer but is dry by mid-November.)

One of my anchors for a heavily loaded 100' 45G is in something akin to peat. No cohesiveness. We dug the hole only to come back in the morning to find a shallow depression about 12 to 15 feet across and a foot deep. I went with a large block of concrete which should work with sand as well. The size? You really need to talk with an engineer for the figures. No raised guy anchors as the soil has little resistance to over turning and the block needs to be large enough to overcome any dragging possibility and with your soil characteristics, you really need that engineer to come up with those numbers. You could forgo the engineer cost, put a fortune in concrete and hope for the best. The engineer would likely be cheaper if he only has to give a recommendation, rather than a stamped plan.

73

Roger (K8RI)

The base is already installed and currently supporting a small self
supporting tower. My concern is the guy anchors, specifically what kind I
should use. I've read a lot on the subject and emailed some of the experts
on the issue (nobody emailed back) so I'm turning to this group. I'm afraid
screw-in anchors would be too loose in the wet sandy soil, and if I dig
holes for concrete block anchors there wouldn't be enough undisturbed soil
left to be effective. Has anyone else dealt with a similar situation?
Thanks in advance, Vince K4JC.