Re: [TowerTalk] Tower guy anchors

To: "Vincent Weal" <vincek4jc@gmail.com>, "TT TowerTalk" <TowerTalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Tower guy anchors
From: GARY HUBER <glhuber@msn.com>
Date: Fri, 8 Nov 2013 11:08:48 -0600
Use a deadman, railroad tie, post, concrete, etc.

73 ES DX,
Gary -- AB9M

-----Original Message----- From: Vincent Weal Sent: Friday, November 08, 2013 9:05 AM To: towertalk@contesting.com Subject: [TowerTalk] Tower guy anchors
I am planning to install a 70-80' Rohn 45 tower and guying it with
Phillystran. The area where the tower is going has very sandy soil - the
kind that just falls back in on itself when you try to dig a hole. Also I
have a very high water table, maybe 18-24 inches below the surface (yes it
stays swampy all summer but is dry by mid-November.)

The base is already installed and currently supporting a small self
supporting tower. My concern is the guy anchors, specifically what kind I
should use. I've read a lot on the subject and emailed some of the experts
on the issue (nobody emailed back) so I'm turning to this group. I'm afraid
screw-in anchors would be too loose in the wet sandy soil, and if I dig
holes for concrete block anchors there wouldn't be enough undisturbed soil
left to be effective. Has anyone else dealt with a similar situation?
Thanks in advance, Vince K4JC.