Re: [TowerTalk] Tower Guy Anchors

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Tower Guy Anchors
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 08 Nov 2013 15:17:16 -0800
On 11/8/13 2:48 PM, Steve Maki wrote:
Depends on the soil and the size of the anchor.

I've had 200' of 45G guyed for 30 years with *big* screw-in anchors. The
soil is heavy clay and gravel mix, and when we installed them there was
no doubt that they would not be the weak link in the system. They have
never budged.

This is a good point. There are ginormous screw in anchors used for large structures.. they come out with a specialized truck that has a big hydraulic motor on a boom to screw them in. I've seen ones that are about 5 feet in diameter and with a shank about 15 ft long and several inches in diameter, and the guy on the truck said they even come in larger sizes.