Re: [TowerTalk] Insurance for Tower

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Insurance for Tower
From: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <lists@subich.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2013 15:28:12 -0500

I suspect your insurance agent is misinformed ... *any* structure (and
a tower is a "structure") on a property is generally covered to 10% of
the policy limit as as "accessory structure".  This is similar to a
free standing garage, barn or storage shed.  Whether your insurance
company will write a *rider* to provide additional coverage for the
tower and antennas is a matter of company policy but if one has a house
valued at/insured for $150,000, 10% covers a good deal of damage to a
typical amateur tower.

Your results may vary depending on state and insurance company.  Shop
around or consider the ARRL "all perils" policy for separate coverage
on the ham gear and antennas.

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV