Re: [TowerTalk] RG-149: 50 ohm/70 ohm - does it matter?

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] RG-149: 50 ohm/70 ohm - does it matter?
From: Tom Osborne <w7why@frontier.com>
Date: Sat, 14 Dec 2013 09:10:02 -0800
I think a tuner only fools people to think things are working right (unless you use a Matchbox type tuner and twinlead).

If I have a RG-8X feeder, and I operate a 10 meter CW antenna at 28.900, the amp may be happy and putting out it's power, but most will be getting lost on the way to the antenna.

Yes, it will work, but not efficiently.  73
Tom W7WHY

Jim

I have an MFJ-998 Autotuner connected to the amp. Every time I change
frequency I mouse click on the TUNE button on the screen, generate a
carrier and the tuner does it's thing.

So, do I have distortion? Not sure, but the tuner does present a good
match to the amp. I do ask on the air about my signal, SSB, CW and RTTY
and always get good reports. Short of having a scope connected to the
coax, I assume that all is OK. Gone are the days of the Yaesu Scopes for
testing transmitter/amp output. I used to have one in line but never
seeing anything obvious on my signal, I finally got rid of it.