Re: [TowerTalk] RG-149: 50 ohm/70 ohm - does it matter?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] RG-149: 50 ohm/70 ohm - does it matter?
From: "Paul Christensen" <w9ac@arrl.net>
Date: Sat, 14 Dec 2013 13:32:30 -0500
"The round trip matched and mismatch loss here is much
too high and in this case -- we can truly say that the tuner is "just making
the transmitter happy," or nearly so.  We have a whopping 12 dB of
systematic loss.  Power dissipated at the load is only 6 watts."

Clarification on my statement above: Yes, in instances of high system loss, the tuner is providing a condition where the "transmitter is happy," [God, I hate that term] but the tuner is also providing a secondary benefit in that maximum power is transferred into the line despite high system loss. I thought it was obvious, maybe it wasn't.

Paul, W9AC

----- Original Message ----- From: "Paul Christensen" <w9ac@arrl.net>