Re: [TowerTalk] Guying mast above rotor

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Guying mast above rotor
From: David Gilbert <xdavid@cis-broadband.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2014 13:44:33 -0700

Matt didn't say 12 inches above the tower ... he said 12 feet ... and I totally disagree with the rest of your comments. Assuming the tower itself is capable of handling the antenna load (taking into account the leverage of the mast), it is FAR FAR cheaper to simply use a mast rated for the job than it is to install another tower or rotate the existing tower.

I have a 70 foot heavy duty freestanding tower with 15 feet of 1/4 inch thick 2 inch diameter chromalloy mast sticking out of the top of the tower. The mast holds up an OB16-3 three feet above the tower and an OB2-40 about twelve feet above the tower. Those are decently large antennas ... MUCH larger than a 10m monobander. I regularly (almost daily in the spring) get wind gusts on this southern Arizona hillside that exceed 80 mph and I've measured them as high as 100 mph (strong enough to strip the gears on my Prosistel PST-61D rotator) and the mast has held up fine after six years of that ordeal. A similar mast would cost just over $500 last I checked, which is considerably cheaper and simpler than what you propose.

Dave   AB7E