Re: [TowerTalk] Guying mast above rotor

To: "Matt" <bluewaterpro@yahoo.com>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Guying mast above rotor
From: "Dan Cisson" <n4gnr@windstream.net>
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2014 15:22:17 -0500
To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Sent: Wednesday, February 12, 2014 2:45 PM
Subject: [TowerTalk] Guying mast above rotor

I know the subject line sounds dumb,, but I have 15' of mast above my tower and live in South Florida. Read on...

Im thinking of putting a guy ring at about 12' above the top of the tower, and, only in event of a severe storm, attach 3 guy wires, which would be anchored in concrete, the cables sitting on the ground, affixing them to the collar in event of storm.

I've also thought of having short guy wires permanently mounted on the guy ring collar, with the short guy cables running down the mast to the top of the tower. Then i could climb up and attach the guy wires, if needed. No need for a bucket truck.

I think this would provide additional survivability to the mast in heavy wind

Any thoughts on this? Good idea, bad?

Thanks/73

Matt w1mbb