Re: [TowerTalk] Guying mast above rotor

To: lwloen@gmail.com, w6rgs@cox.net
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Guying mast above rotor
From: TexasRF@aol.com
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2014 17:36:05 -0500 (EST)
As we say around here: Long masts are not substitutes for tower  sections.

73,
Gerald K5GW
Texas Towers

In a message dated 2/12/2014 2:30:20 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
lwloen@gmail.com writes:

I'm no  engineer, either, but that fits my way of thinking too.

I'm biased,  too, by a colleague with a tall tower and a big mask sticking
out the  top.  He was a VHFer.

He got a fairly big storm.  The mast  bent, but the tower (and even the
antennas) survived.  But, yeah, if I  had a tall enough tower I'd give up
the mast and antennas instead of the  tower if I could design that in
properly.  Guy the tower, give up the  mast.

Larry WO7R

On Wed, Feb 12, 2014 at 2:00 PM,  <w6rgs@cox.net> wrote:

> Matt,
> You didn't mention the  height of your tower or if it is crank-up or
guyed.
> If it's a  crank-up, I'd just lower the tower when a storm is expected.
> If the  tower has no other guying, think about where your tower is going
> be  flexing during that hypothetical severe storm, while the mast is guyed
>  and the base is in concrete.  While I don't have an engineering degree,
I'm