Re: [TowerTalk] New windows versus my antenna wiring

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] New windows versus my antenna wiring
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 07 Apr 2014 09:04:39 -0700
On 4/7/14 8:10 AM, Joseph or Ruth Patrick wrote:
  You can buy or build an aluminum panel to fit your particular window where
you want the feed lines to come thru. When I had my old windows I made a sketch
 and took it down to the sheet metal shop and they made an  aluminum panel per
my drawing. I then fitted the panel on the bottom of the window and screwed the
panel to the frame. Now we have replaced all of the windows in the house with
Impact resistant windows. I live in Florida so if your replacing the windows it
only makes sense to do it this way. I had another panel made and fit it tightly
in the bottom the new window. No screws this time. I put some strip foam sealer
on the top and bottom of the panel first. The I closed the window down tight
and installed some burglar clips that clamp onto the frame. That holds the
window down tight so it can't be easily opened. It has worked for me for 11
years now. YMMV Good Luck.

http://www.frontpanelexpress.com

has a design tool you can download and use to specify holes, engraved lettering, etc. You specify the size of the panel, cutouts, etc. they run it through a CNC machining operation, finish the panel (paint or chemical conversion) and ship it to you.

This is also handy for making breadboards and the bottom of chassis.

I've done all sorts of stuff, including waveguide flanges, small optical bench assemblies, etc. Basically, anything you can make out of a flat piece of aluminum with punch, mill, or drill.