Re: [TowerTalk] Poor eHam reviews of the AV 480

To: "towertalk@contesting.com" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Poor eHam reviews of the AV 480
From: Al Kozakiewicz <akozak@hourglass.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2014 10:11:31 -0400
This observation is spot on.

If you assume (like the misanthrope I am) that a) people are, on average,
stupid and b) will never admit when they make a mistake, that allows you to
discount virtually all the positive reviews.  eHam is a bit out of the norm
IMO, as my experience is that generally it's the dissatisfied customers that
are highly motivated to share their opinion.

Look at the reviews for the Tak-tenna.  Near as I can tell, this snake oil is
an antenna only in the sense that it turns your feedline into a radiator.  Yet
it has overwhelmingly positive reviews, perhaps because the only people who
would buy it don't know any better.

With otherwise reputable products, I look only at the negative reviews.  I want
to see if there are a lot of them and if they are consistent with each other.
If so, that tells me there is perhaps something worth investigating before a
decision to purchase.  Otherwise, the best rule of thumb is that you  get what
you pay for.

Al
AB2ZY