Re: [TowerTalk] Poor eHam reviews of the AV 480

To: David Gilbert <xdavid@cis-broadband.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Poor eHam reviews of the AV 480
From: Mickey Baker <fishflorida@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2014 19:24:21 -0400
Folks, there are ONLY THREE eham reviews for this antenna. If there were 10
bad reviews from 10 different hams, I'd suspect the worse, but 3?  The
AV640 is a similar antenna (doesn't cover 80m) and has 64 reviews and a 4.2
rating.

I browsed the manual and it seems to be a fairly complicated assembly, with
"capacity hats" for 3 bands. I can see where something can go wrong, but I
would never make a judgement on a product that only had 3 reviews, based on
those reviews alone.

73,

Mickey N4MB

On Thu, Apr 10, 2014 at 7:09 PM, David Gilbert <xdavid@cis-broadband.com>wrote:

> It's actually the AV-680, and all three eHam reviews describe major
> quality issues.
>
> http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/10961
>
> Two reviewers accordingly gave the antenna a poor grade..  The third
> reviewer gave it a good mark because the dealer provided good followup
> service although he had no other antenna to compare it against and fell
> back on the invalid "if I can hear it I can work it" endorsement regarding
> actual performance.
>
> The only conclusion that can be made here is that three users had
> out-of-the-box quality problems and that none of them were able to
> objectively comment on the performance of the antenna.  Without searching
> for other reviews nobody would know if the quality issues are typical or
> not since, as someone else here pointed out, people are much more likely to
> take to the forums to air a grievance than express satisfaction.
>
> 73,
> Dave   AB7E
>

> On 4/9/2014 5:47 PM, john@iguanavilla.com wrote:
>
>> I was curious what this antenna is and google cannot seem to find it.  Are
>> the poor reviews quality related or regarding performance?
>>
>> John KK9A
>>

>> To:      <towertalk@contesting.com>
>> Subject:         [TowerTalk] Poor eHam reviews of the AV 480
>> From:    "David Thompson" <thompson@mindspring.com>
>> Date:    Wed, 9 Apr 2014 19:19:46 -0400
>> com>
>> I tried to convince Ray W5EW to replace his 6BTV vertical with a Hy-Gain
>> AV-480 but the reviews on eHam were so bad he has decided not to spend the
>> money. The 6BTV has 30 radials and does well in the RTTY Contests he
>> enters
>> running low power.
>>
>> How do we over ride the poor reviews from hams who probably have no idea
>> of
>> how to set up a vertical?
>>
>> 73 Dave K4JRB

Mickey Baker, N4MB
Fort Lauderdale, FL
*"Tell me, and I will listen. Show me, and I will understand. Involve me,
and I will learn." *Teton Lakota, American Indian Saying.