Re: [TowerTalk] Tower and Ladder Line Interaction

To: "towertalk@contesting.com" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Tower and Ladder Line Interaction
From: Donald Chester <k4kyv@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2014 17:38:12 +0000
Better still, run the OWL down through the interior of the tower. I use
plexiglass strips attached to the Rohn 25G rungs, one every 10' to keep the
wires properly spaced apart and at the geometric centre of the triangle,
maintaining a little tension on the wires with small turnbuckles. The wires are
made of #10 copperweld wire (which I had in abundance), and there are no
additional feedline spacers going up the ower other than the plexiglass strips.
I use regular EF Johnson ceramic 2" spreaders for the line after it leaves the
tower near the base. This has been up for 33 years now, with no problem other
than one spacer I had to replace which I carelessly broke while climbing the
tower. I believe it is far better than trying to Rube-Goldberg some kind of
outriggers to run the OWL all the way up the outside of the tower and keep it
properly spaced.

Whenever I climb the tower, I loosen the wires by running out the turnbuckles,
so they don't interfere with placing my feet on the tower rungs as I climb.

Don k4kyv

> However, I'm concerned about the interaction between the tower and the
> ladder line. Some of the info I've read suggests it's not that big of a
> deal as long as the ladder line is a few inches from the metal. Other
> info I've read suggests otherwise.

Since you said you are using a tuner, you don't care if the line
impedance is changed moderately by the proximity of the tower.
You are probably fine if the spacing to the tower is 2 or 3 times
the wire spacing of the line.  Try to keep balance by putting
the line broadside to the tower, rather than end wise.  Also
avoid running it adjacent to a leg, rather run it up the face of
the tower.

Again, since you have a tuner, it is very non critical.

Rick N6RK