Re: [TowerTalk] Top Bearing Plate for 55G vs Rotor Plate

To: towertalk@contesting.com, rthorne@rthorne.net
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Top Bearing Plate for 55G vs Rotor Plate
From: K7LXC--- via TowerTalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2014 11:04:33 -0400 (EDT)
>  I'm working on getting the parts together for a Rohn 55g  tower.

?  The Rohn 55g Bearing plate sure is expensive.  I see  two other
possibilities.

>  1 - Use the less expensive beacon  plate and drill a hole for the
mast/bearing.
>  2 - Use a rotor  plate for the same purpose.

>  I plan on having a top bearing, an intermediate bearing  then the rotor.

I have no idea what the thickness of the Rohn bearing  plate is as
compared to a beacon or rotor plate.  I'm hoping to put up  a full size 4
element 40m beam some day, so the system will need to handle a  good
300+lbs.

Hiya, Rich --

    The beacon plate is FB if you don't mind  drilling it.

    As for an intermediate bearing, I'd  discourage it. The plates are not
precision items and you'll just introduce bind  into the system. Since all
you're trying to do is capture the mast, put the  rotator plate in the middle
and skip the bearing - cheaper too. And the upper TB  carries all the
weight anyway so a middle bearing doesn't provide any structural  help.

Cheers & GL,
Steve     K7LXC
TOWER TECH