Re: [TowerTalk] Running feed line and rotor cable together?

To: Paul Braiman <spacewiz@charter.net>, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Running feed line and rotor cable together?
From: Alan Beagley via TowerTalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2014 10:28:10 -0500
On 12/21/2014 07:45 PM, Paul Braiman wrote:

Just wondering if anyone has any recommendations regarding the routing of a LMR400 UF
coax feed line alongside a 4-conductor rotor control cable, and a control cable for a
soon-to-be-completed SteppIR DB-18 antenna. My intent is to gently tie wrap the 3
cables together using UV-rated outdoor ties, then leave the appropriate loops and
slack so I can raise and lower the tower. The Orion 2800 rotor is already mounted,
tested with a mast that’s ready to receive the antenna.

Anything else I should be mindful of? All cables are shielded and will be tied
to a common earth ground. I'll be feeding the antenna with 100 W max.

If not tied directly next to each other, what would be a good separation
distance for the coax and the other two?

Your collective wisdom is greatly appreciated by this relative newbie. :)

I have all my cables (2 x coax + rotator + SteppIR) taped together with electrical tape. Since they run through my crank-up's coax standoffs, cable ties would catch too easily.

The electrical tape (one of the 3M varieties, but I don't recall which) has been there a few years, but I guess I have to replace it soon.

73

Alan NV8A