Re: [TowerTalk] Tuner SWR won't stay down

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Tuner SWR won't stay down
From: Tom Osborne <w7why@frontier.com>
Date: Thu, 01 Jan 2015 16:16:05 -0800
Hi Dave

I did spray the bearings in the caps with some cleaner. Forgot to mention that.

The caps are not grounded in this circuit.

On 1/1/2015 12:18 PM, David Robbins wrote:
Well, lets see... you bypassed the swr circuit, that's good.  you replaced
the roller inductor, that's even better, I melted down one of their roller
inductors at the legal limit years ago.  So all that's left are the
capacitors... or is there a bypass switch in there also?  its been a while.
If there is a switch try taking that out of the circuit.  Also check the
bearing points of the capacitors, if I remember right those are the grounded
site of the capacitors and could be dirty or have some solvent/lube in them
that shouldn't be there causing a bad connection that might change as they
warm up with rf.  Clean them out or put a temporary jumper to the rotor to
see if that stops the drift.

David Robbins K1TTT
e-mail: mailto:k1ttt@arrl.net
web: http://wiki.k1ttt.net
AR-Cluster node: 145.69MHz or telnet://k1ttt.net